Sunday, February 27, 2011

2 Weeks of Breakfast: Day 5. Gurieff Pudding

Ahhh, the bliss of sleeping in... Well rested, relaxed, cradling a cup of coffee prepared especially for me by my beloved hubby - perfect timing to get into a more complicated breakfast recipe!

In Russia, people say children are supposed to eat porridge if they wanna grow big and strong and healthy. Problem is, most people (especially children) hate porridge. Perhaps, because parents are too pushy on the subject.

After moving out of my parents' place, I spent years enjoying my porridge-free world. But then something happened and I realized that I miss it. I crave it. A few more years passed - and here I am, getting creative with my porridge. This one doesn't even look or taste like one! 

So here's one recipe like that. But it certainly isn't something to be undertaken on a weekday morning...

Ingredients:

milk - 500 ml
semolina - 1/2 cup
eggs - 2
ground wallnuts - 500 g
fresh berries - 300 g
sugar - 1 cup
oil
fruits and berries for decoration



Preparation instructions: (breakfast recipe)

Preheat the oven to 390F.

Break the eggs into a bowl and separate yolks into another bowl.

Wash berries and cut them in half.

Pour milk into a pan with thick walls. Slowly add semolina, constantly mixing it with milk. Bring to boil, stirring it non-stop (I know... it's a lot of work)

When the porridge gets thick, turn off the stove, stir in yolks and ground nuts.

Oil a small oven-friendly form, cover the bottom with half the porridge.

Layer berries on top of it and then cover with the rest of the porridge.

Cover with sugar.

Heat a knife (I stuck it in the stove fire) and press sugar with it - you will hear a burning sound of sugar being caramelized. Repeat until all sugar has been pressed with the heated knife.

Stick in the oven for about 15 minutes.

Serve immediately, decorated with fresh berries and fruits.

Note: I used blackberries and I wouldn't recommend using them as they have tiny seeds that are unpleasantly crunchy. Perhaps raspberries or strawberries are better, or blueberries (which are too small to be cut in half)



Credits: unfortunately, I do not remember where I got this recipe from.

No comments:

Post a Comment