Friday, February 25, 2011

2 Weeks of Breakfast: Day 3. Rice Pudding (Kasha) with Dried Fruits

I am tired. I really wanna sleep in. It's grey and snowing outside. Is it grey or gray? Whatever it is, I wanna stay in bed, curled fetus-like under the blanket. 

   Please don't wake me, 
   No don't shake me, 
   Leave me where I am 
   I'm only sleeping 
   ~ The Beatles

But no. It's 2 weeks of breakfast project. Why did I get myself into this, again? Thank God I planned an easy one today - half of it I pre-cooked yesterday evening.

What's good is that this breakfast always puts me in a good mood: it's the most favourite breakfast from my childhood. Since rice takes awhile to cook, it was a Sunday-only option (in my childhood Saturday was a weekday... just think of it: 6-day week! hideous...) Most often my grandma cooked it for me. It's sweet, it's got colourful berries and fruits in it, and it's not mushi as oatmeal (now that I simply hated back then)...

Anyway, rice pudding with dried fruits:

Ingredients:
~ 1 cup of round rice (half-boil and drain it the night before to save some time in the morning)
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp of sugar
1/4 tsp of salt
dried fruits (I used raisins, cranberry, apricots and plums)




SO here's what you need to make a rice pudding: (breakfast recipe)

As I mentioned before, half-boil and drain the rice the night before (it's a real time-saver in the morning).

In the morning, bring milk to boil, dissolve sugar and salt in it, add rice. Mix thoroughly to make sure rice gets sweetened evenly. Wait until it starts to boil, too - stir every now and so.

Add fruits and simmer with a closed lid, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.

It makes about 2 portions.


2 comments:

  1. looks so freaking tatsy (is freaking applicable here or its not a proper language? always wondered ))

    ReplyDelete