Thursday, February 24, 2011

2 Weeks of Breakfast: Day 2. Risnik

You know how every time you set yourself upon a noble path, working towards a grand goal, something interferes and sends all your efforts to the pooper?

It almost happened today to my breakfast-every-day project. Almost. It turned out I had to fast for a blood test this morning. Which meant I wasn't supposed to HAVE a breakfast.

But I grit my teeth and made one anyway. For my hubby, if not for me. Noble me!

This is a simple enough recipe if you cook the rice the night before. I called it 'risnik'. I won't bore you with curiosities of Russian language and explain how something made of rice becomes a 'risnik', but that's a made-up word - by me - that doesn't exist EVEN in Russian.

Ingridents:
300 g. of round rice boiled in milk (I boiled it the night before)
4 tbsp of flour
1 egg
salt-sugar to taste 
a bit more flour for coating



The step-by-step recipe (and some further musings) is hidden under the cut - follow the link below (breakfast recipe)
In a bowl, thoroughly mix the boiled rice, flour, eggs, salt, and sugar. Don't put too much sugar for it will burn while frying, creating a caramel-like coating.

Add oil to a frying pan, sat on medium.

Put the extra flour in a clean flat plate.

With wet hands, form patties about half-inch thick, coat them with flour, and fry on both sides until golden.

Serve with sour cream or jam (my hubby mixed sour cream AND apricot jam :)) 

They aren't bad when cold, either (that's how I tried them when I finally got home and ATE).

It makes 6 risniks (my hubby ate 3 for one breakfast... which means that a) they were good, and b) this won't suffice for a bigger family) - you do the math!

Credits: http://trio-mia.livejournal.com

5 comments:

  1. Cute! Never heard of a risnik before, but I guess it's pretty much like a сырник but with rice instead of творог со сметаной. Will definitely try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this was the first I tried these as well
    They even taste like сырник - but are easier to make (сырник is too tough - local cottage cheese isn't just the right one)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's because you have to buy farmers cheese - it's made especially for baking.
    Or, творог from the Russian deli. And it helps if you whip the mixture with a mixer to get rid of the clumps and get a smooth texture - then your syrniki will be soft and tender :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. You can add some dried cranberries to the mixture (or other berries/raisins), and even a few drops of vanilla - пальчики оближешь!

    ReplyDelete
  5. farmers cheese?
    brand please!
    I usually buy cottage cheese by Western - the one that has the highest fat percentage in it

    PS Yes, I usually add vanilla, too
    Never added dried fruits...

    ReplyDelete