Thursday, March 3, 2011

2 Weeks of Breakfast: Day 9. Poached Eggs Sandwich

This morning I slept right through all of my alarms. I still managed to get out of bed before my hubby got out of shower, but I definitely had far less time than I needed for the planned since yesterday breakfast. 

Change of plans on the fly!

Flipping through the breakfast recipes saved on my laptop, mentally flipping through my fridge contents, flipping through a wonderful book I received a few years ago called "out to brunch", I finally got me a winner: poached eggs sandwich.

Now, if this is your first time poaching an egg, perhaps it's not gonna be a life-saver breakfast put together in 8 minutes. Just a warning. Well, not a warning... a watch-out.

Anyhow, the recipe is really for Eggs Benedict, but that definitely is not a quick breakfast solution as the sauce takes forever to make. I had to be inventive with the fridge contents and tight deadline (oh my, I talk like a project manager again).

Ingredients for 1 serving:
bread - 1 toastable piece (I really prefer whole wheat)
egg - 1
deli meat - 1 piece (I used prosciutto cotto; you can even use smoked salmon - actually, that'd be even better...)
spread or sauce (now, as I said it's supposed to be a sauce made all by yourself for eggs benedict. But since these were poached eggs sandwiches I was making, I grabbed a spinach spread from Fountain Sante, I just love it. Salty and rich - that's what you're looking for. And yes, you can make the poached egg sandwich even without sauce altogether - the runny yolks will be enough)
vinegar
salt



The recipe is quite simple:
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil (at least a couple of inches of water should be in it).

While it's boiling, break an egg into a small bowl - make sure the yolk stays intact.

Splash some vinegar in the boiling water and lower the heat to gentle simmer.

Slide the raw egg carefully right into the boiling water; vinegar is what will be holding the egg together (otherwise you'll end up with hot and sour soup, I guess).

Set the timer to 2-3 minutes.

Stick the bread into a toaster.

When the eggs are ready, put the bread slice onto a plate, cover it with your deli meat, sauce/spread, and fish out your poached egg carefully with a slotted spoon and slide on top of the sandwich.

Serve immediately.

The best thing about it? Dipping your toast into the runny yolk...


4 comments:

  1. Здорово! Надо уже попробовать!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. попробовать приготовить poached eggs?
    или прийти в гости попробовать poached eggs?
    или попробовать начать готовить завтраки?
    :)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. god I am hungry :((
    (на лицекниге напишу, уведомления нивкакомвиденеприходят,какнилогиньсятутттт!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess it works differently here... comments aren't supposed to be answered?
    in livejournal, it's like a forum, discussions break out when there is an interesting posting
    here it's just for one way feedback, it seems...

    ReplyDelete