Wednesday, January 12, 2011

what is it about jeans?

This week a note came out of our HR department, reminding us that while we are allowed to enjoy the 'casual business' dress-code as a means to provide a more comfortable environment at work, leggings, tights and jeans are not allowed. And then even on Fridays, we're only allowed to wear jeans if we buy some charity supporting badge - and wear it.

But why do we need to wear jeans so badly?
Well, I should agree that tights are really not appropriate in the office (even being a woman, I couldn't quite concentrate on a recent presentation delivered by a colleague in tights and over-the-knee boots... and no, her sweater wasn't long).

What I don't quite understand is the obsession with jeans. On the one hand, I don't know why they are excluded from business casual attire. What is so different about them from pants and slackers? So they're blue, big deal. I mean, if they are not tight and/or torn.

On the other hand - why are we so obsessed to get a permission to wear them? Why do we all, as one, show up wearing jeans each and every Friday, as if there's nothing else we can wear - what with all the cool pants, dresses and skirts currently being in style?

Why the moment we're allowed to show up dressed casually, we should be prepared to see people dressed up in something that distinctly looks like pj's?

Beats me.

6 comments:

  1. I dunno. I personally don't like jeans that much. I like yoga pants :) and they are a big no-no for work environment. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, I like jeans. But not to the point of wearing them the instance i am ALLOWED to wear them

    if HR announces we can wear checkered socks only on Tuesdays, will it turn checkered socks into an IT item, i wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is why I don't like HR people :)))) I mean what their purpose in life is? To annoy people with rules, team building and training. I have been with the company without any HRs for over three years and very happy :) though...jeans still only on Saturdays :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am pretty sure that these rules and regulations usually come down from higher management

    Really, HR has its place and role. If there's a smart HR strategy in place, in line with a company's long-term goals, and a proper execution of the strategy is provided, HR can contribute to a better overall culture and happiness of employees, and, therefore, a company's bottom line

    sadly, not every company sees the connection between the overall employee happiness and the bottom line, choosing to invest time and money elsewhere, leaving HR with the meager function to impose rules and regulations...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why do people like wearing jeans?
    Jeans are durable, comfortable, non-static, no-need-to-iron, goes-with-everything kind of attire.

    Why do people wear jeans the moment they are allowed?
    Firstly, you get bored with your regular office clothes no matter how stylish it is. If one wears it every day one is likely to welcome an opportunity to change the routine.

    Secondly, everyone owns a few pairs of jeans. You need to have them for occasional outings, barbeques, travel, etc. If you are not allowed to wear them during the week, that is just wasted space in your closet.

    Personally I like jeans, but our dress code prohibits wearing them except on Fridays and subject to a $1 charity donation. I don’t get enough wear out of my two pairs, therefore I don’t let myself buy new ones – it seems like a waste of money and unnecessarily consumerism bad for the planet. But I am already bored with these two perfectly fine pairs. If I get more wear out of them I will feel more content replacing them with new style/color etc.

    Why are jeans subject to dress code limitations?
    There are too many kinds and styles of jeans. Some look rugged, unclean, skimpy or tight. People’s judgment about which jeans are appropriate work attire and which ones are not varies widely. And then there is a matter of footwear – people like to wear snickers and floppers with jeans, which are also not welcome in the office environment.

    It is easier for HR to prohibit all jeans as a class than to face appropriateness discussions on a case by case basis.
    At least this is the answer I got from my HR when they announced a new ban on jeans (we had a total jeans ban for a couple of years that was recently replaced by Friday jeans charity).

    ReplyDelete
  6. well - they still describe precisely the type of jeans that CAN be worn on Fridays. So they "face appropriateness discussions" anyway.

    Where from did jeans get this reputation, I wonder?

    Reminds me of my high school principal chasing me down the halls, insisting on removing the "oversized earrings" that she considered improper... to this day, I don't know what was the big deal.

    ReplyDelete