Thursday, January 20, 2011

Awkward

So many people are preoccupied with their age - oh, I am turning 25... 30... 35... whatever it is. Seriously - it's not about what your ID says - it's about how you look.
 
The bus driver that usually picks me up at my office doorstep is a very chatty guy. He often chooses a victim for the evening, keeping the poor person by his side, chatting all the way to subway station - which is a 40 minute ride. The victim has to stand to keep him company.


Anyway, the other day I tried to sneak quickly by him, eager to get absorbed in my 700-page book, when he said: can I ask you a question? I slumped my shoulders and took a couple of steps back and raised a brow. 


The driver removed his glasses, straightened his jacket, and patted down his hair - as if he were going to pop the question :) 






Ask a question he did - but a different one: he asked me to guess his age.
I squinted at him, taking in his pasty skin colour, receding hairline, thinning hair that is a few months past the haircut deadline, the extra pounds around the middle, the tired eyes. I though he must be in his early forties but decided to humour him.


- Thirty five?


The driver's jaw dropped onto his knee. Shocked, he told me that he was only 29 and asked me why on earth I thought him so old?!


Blurting something about him being very respectable and serious while, of course, 29-year-olds are all irresponsible boys, I retreated to the back of the bus.


Now, that was awkward. I'm glad I didn't say early forties. And I'm glad that whatever my ID says, I still get asked for it every now and then when buying booze...

4 comments:

  1. I wonder how do I look like.. will try the same question )) prepared for everything

    ReplyDelete
  2. i haven't seen you for 20 years - how would I know? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A question about somebody's age always seems to be so tricky to me. I never know what to say. People often tend to be offended. Even I say the exact age they would be disappointed that I didn't guess younger or older in some cases.

    ReplyDelete
  4. maybe we should always say something outrageous? like "ummmm... 80?" - and eventually people will stop asking these stupid questions..

    ReplyDelete